Gig Harbor Garden Tour - A Tour for Literacy
- The Gig Harbor Garden Tour is a two-day self-guided event, showcasing outstanding gardens in the Gig Harbor area. It is the premier gardening tour in the Puget Sound area.
- The tour is run completely by volunteers. Profits are donated to literacy programs in the greater Gig Harbor and Key Peninsula area.
- The tour is in its 16th year, started by Altrusa and the Milgard family, and taken over by Tacoma Community College Foundation in 1998, and in 2011 became a non-profit organization with 501c3 status in the state of Washington.
- The tour supports the “Reach Out and Read” national reading program; Pediatrics Northwest supports this program locally. Their pediatricians give age appropriate books to parents to encourage reading out loud to their children. These books are given at all wellness check-ups. Making the visit a “literacy check-up” also.
- The tour also supports Communities in Schools.
- The Peninsula Art league places artists in the gardens.
- Local merchants sell garden tour tickets and host events in their locations, such as, ACE Hardware stores in Gig Harbor, Wilco, and six other locations.
- The tour is Saturday, June 28, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday, June 29, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.